Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Snap, Crack, Cop!

Our last day of migration East has ended - with a bang! Exiting into New Jersey and making a wrong turn into Englewood the BMW and we were hit by a small Toyota. The rain was pouring and it was very difficult to see and, while not unlikeky that the weight of fault rested with us the police officer responding was unable to determine with surety whom was at fault. So, no citation!

The two African American men in the other vehicle were more than kind and helpful and after all the paperwork was finished they were extremely generous in helping us to find the hotel. In fact they lead us to the Hilton in their car. I cannot remember when a starnger, who by all reason had every right to be upset with us, or at least the situation, went out of their way to be so kind.

Mark was driving and though we believe no one was seriously injured I'm insisting that he have an X-Ray of his spine. The jarring of the automible was strong enough to cause injury and I prefer to rule it out now.

Miss Mint handled the entire situation with aplomb, greeting one of the men in the other car with a gracious 'meow'. Or, "How do you do!"

The only dark spot was the police officer. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I assume he thought of us as rich white guys ready to take advantage of a 'brother'. I asked the driver of the other car if I might take a digital photo of the damage to his vehicle to which he had agreed. The officer, in his squad car, saw me snap the photos and leapt at me, shouting that I had no right to photograph the other person's car without permission. I replied I did have permission but he was angry and just repeated his tirade over any protest I might give. When he finally heard me he did turn and ask the other driver if I had his permission. The affirmative was given and he backed off. Whew!

Both cars pulled into the Hilton together and I asked the men if they would join us for a coffee. One said, I don't drink, I use weed. "Yikes!", I thought. But replied with another thank you for their kindness. He told me where the nighborhood clubs are and suggested I hit the hot spots. I said I just might! I didn't snap their photos for the blog, unfortunately, but I'll always remember their good will.

No comments: