Friday, October 21, 2005

Rags Grants Riches

My dear parents and my 'dearest daughter mine' lost a special family member today. Pooka, their little puppy dog, had to be put to sleep today after a number of years of ailing health. We mourn with them, as only those who have lost a dear pet can, and send our love and support as they grieve. Mark brought Pooka home one day long ago when we were living in Mission Hills, San Diego. He was poodle mix and was the most hyper little puppy I had ever seen. I could not temper his energy, nor keep up with it while raising an energetic little girl, caring for my dear spouse and learning to be both spouse and parent. It was just too much. Mom and Dad agreed to take him and care and raise him. They, without any children at home any longer, seemed to have the time and energy to devote to this little frball, when Mark and Joy were not able to, and I felt overwhelmed with yet another life in my personal care. Joy was heartbroken, and I became, along with Mom and Dad, one of the bad guys who stole her puppy, Rags. Oh, the heartache of pets... Nothing cold ever console our daughter and even to this day she calls him Rags and reminds us of how Grandpa and Grandma 'stole' him. But Rags or Pooka, however he is known, was a lively, loving spirit who was full of happy if slightly neurotic love that he shared in his small life with eager happiness and gentle faithfulness for those he loved for many years. God bless you, Pooka/Rags! See you again soon!

No comments: