Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stormy Weather


It's raining hard this morning in Los Angeles. I always see the rain as a great blessing, and the heavy clouds seem like a great warm comforter dropped low across the earth's four poster. I hear the automobiles zooming past on Crescent Heights and the swish of tires through standing water. 

Growing up in Arizona, in the desert, any change from heat was so welcome. And, so, in August and September, when the monsoons would arrive, I was in heaven. We had a pair of great old cottonwood trees in our yard, and as the autumn came the leaves would turn bright yellows and golds and fall upon the St. Augustine grass of the lawn. The big sticky leaves would crunch beneath my bare toes and, except for the occasional pyracantha stem hiding it's thorns amongst them, it was marvelous to wildly tear through the sea of leaves. 

The moment a storm would arrive, and the skies went hazy and gray, a wind would blow up the leaves. I remember tearing off my shirt to feel the new coolness and running, helter skelter, arms waving all about, across the yard kicking up the golden crunchy carpet. I'd throw myself down eventually, and roll about, wrapped in a blanket of old gold, and watch the storm clouds rush swiftly overhead. The starck, white and gray branches of the cottonwood would sway in the wind, shedding their last few stalwart fronds, and even strips of bark, as they wrestled Zephyr in his angst.

New York had wonderful storms, filled with rain, sleet and snow! I would often take the No. 7 to the City and go up to Central Park in the rain and or snow. My best memories are of that park in storms - and the snow would blanket the grounds and monuments and trees with a depth of peace I couldn't believe.

Too fast, too swiftly, the storms would pass and the terrible heat would try to return, though it would eventually leave us for winter, such as it was. So, those few days each year when water and wind would change the world for me were precious. A breathing time, a time to live and thrive, those blustery marvelous days. I love them still, they are still too rare and fair. 

No comments: