Friday, March 09, 2007

Sage & Roses

The velvet padded leaves of sage last longest of all the herbs with a little care in the ice box; and hung upside down with roses in the air, dry beautifully. My dear friend, Julia, has blessed my home with sage, wrapped and dried, and then lighted, wafted about the wisps of scented smoke to perfume and purify our house in Amsterdam. Not having a priest handy for a blessing, it was a beautiful ritual which Julia borrowed from Native Americans, as a way to clear the space of negative spirits and influences. Since then, I often keep dried sage nearby, to remind me of Julia and her gentleness, along with roses, to remind me of her sweetness and laughter and humor. All of which I believe no doubt has had as much influence on dispelling evil from my home, and anywhere she graces with her presence, as the ritual of the sage.

No comments: