Saturday, January 21, 2006

An Open Letter for My Joy Belin


Dearest Daughter Mine, I've been thinking about you all day today and hope that you are feeling well and are happy. I think of you every day, but today I feel as though you might be sad, and so I'm sending you in this note a huge big squeeze of a bear hug and lots of smoochy kisses! (That should frighten you out of your being blue, at the very least!) I am still being silly and cry each day several time about our dear Miss Mint. I know that you will understand that just hearing your voice sometimes takes me back to our years together on Arista Drive, when Mint first came home. I remember your being in your car seat in the back of the Mercedes after dance class and you were excited because I had told you in school that there was a surprise in the car for you. When we arrived at the car the yet unnamed Peppermint Melissa had gotten out of her box and was underneath the drivers seat in the electric motor! I was so excited and so worried that I wouldn't be able to coax her out and she's be injured. You were still in your ballerina costume and were very excited, clapping, giggling and laughing - and when I told you that you were to name her and that she was yours (I did try to let go of her!) you laughed and tried to climb out of your seat. At last P.M. came out and she went right up to you and started purring. She would climb in your lap on the drive home and then climb out and crawl up the seat to my shoulders. We had such fun taking her home together - it's a wonder I didn't have an accident for I was looking at you most of the drive! All those years ago, my darling daughter, and how I miss those fanciful times of taking care of you - yes, even when you would lose your dinner in our bed at night. Each memory is etched in my mind like a reel of a motion picture. Do you remember the Christmas she had her kittens and how they climbed the 17' tree in the entry? At least they couldn't knock it over? I think it was Rascal who especially liked to climb and he would weave in and out of the big wooden nutcrackers and the sparkling glass and everything tinkled. I was so proud and happy that you and Daddy were my family. I still am, darling girl, I still am. I am told you will be coming to visit soon. Please please do - and please, dearest one, consider coming home to stay. We can get you into a good school in NYC and also help you with contacts in the music business or whatever work you hope to do. But come home. I would so love to be able to take care of you once more in this lifetime. Besides, in April, a new kitten is arriving. She will be one of the Chartreux kittens in the photos below. Two litters, a month apart in age. I can't promise I'll be any better about sharing, but I will try! I am thinking of calling her Pamplemousse... but at least if not that her name must be French. All My Love, Vous

No comments: