Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Jean Cocteau


Whenever I am Blue after seeing Red I look for familiar artwork which solidifies for me the value of gay men and women in this world. One of my favorite artists is Jean Cocteau - you may know him as the filmaker of the famous French telling of, La belle et bĂȘte; and rightly you should . It is a masterpiece but he offered so many other works in so many mediums including drawing. The laurel crowned youth above, with stars in his eyes, seem the fitting symbol for me tonight. A reassurance that all is with God's plan and despite my failings He will always succeed. Cocteau's life had so much personal search both intellectual and spiritual, much of which caused him great pain. But he had his love, Jean Marais, and I like to believe that when thosse swell evenings with the avant garde were finished, the champagne had stopped flowing and the collar stays were undone that the two could escape to their pied a terre and hold each other tight against an increasingly insane and war-torn world.

See a fine sample of his homoerotic works in this lovely book, available at Amazon.com, simply click the Title of this Blog

No comments: