Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Potted






Mark and I have beed sharing some gardening. It's been a great way to spend time together. Mark is a pro with the drip system, and keeps all our green friends from being thristy, I do my best to make them look their best. We're especially excited about the lavendar plants we bought - they were just intended as a hothouse flowering plant for a short time indoors, but we managed to relocate them outside and they are just starting their second flowering. The scent is wonderful, and the soft pale green is delicious. We also potted some lantana, some Arizona yellow bell and a favorite: red and rose coloured geraniums, also in their second flowering as I write. 

Geraniums always remind me of my grandomther. She loved them and painted a lovely watercolour of the flower when she was 16. That was 1906. I gave the painting some years ago to my sister Peggy. At the time we were moving to Europe and I wanted to make certain the painting stayed in America with our family. 

As I write I remember France and the many fields of lavendar we saw while visiting Provence. Near the village of Le barroux. The town was once a fortified castle; all that remains now is the town and the castle ruins. It is a lovley place of winding streets and revamped houses now filled with foreigners and Parisians who want a country place. The plaons surrounding the hill upon which Le Barroux is built are filled with vinyards and lavendar. Scrumptious. It is amazing what memories a simple scent may bring you from our of the blue. 






No comments: