Monday, April 09, 2007

Warm Blue Bellies

This afternoon I returned home rather tired and cold, and earlier, I think, than the cats expected me; for they were curled up in separate spots sleeping and did not make their usual leap for the door when I came through. So, I thought, we shall not fight this groggy, cold nap which is creeping over me, too, even while still bundled in my overcoat and carrying case. Athenais and Bouvier greeted me sleepily and then, Miss A., in all her demure charm, allowed me the pleasure of holding her upside down and nuzzling her nose and face with my nose and whiskers. She purred - a very good sign for nappers like us - and so I set her on the bed where she curled up and returned to her garden of dreams.

Greeting Beau Beau with a scratch on his strong brow and along the scent glands each side of his mouth, I removed my coat and case and put on a 'sleepy' tee shirt, dragged the phone into the bedroom and climbed in next to m Miss A. and called M. Bouvier, who soon joined us; and at last we all napped. Or at least they did, for every time I began to doze the phone would ring again. At last, unable to drift off, I put out a hand to each of my precious little charges, sleeping in blue balls of fur side by side, and gently, ever so tenderly, stroked their fur and slipped my hands into the warmth of their bellies. They curled more deeply about my hands and for a few minutes we three were as one and I felt as if I were a cat myself, with the most precious of kittens in my care.

As I searched their faces with my eyes I saw them each as they once were, so small and infinitely tiny, babies with only one need, to be nursed and loved; loved with a rough tongue wash and a teat full of warm milk. And the warmth of it all was gentle and lovely and good and touched my heart; and I knew there is a God, a Creator and a Lover of such magnificent generosity that He could give to me such wealth.

It is a marvelous responsibility to Love; yet for every moment of tenderness there will be a heart-ache that will rip the soul from it's very tabernacle. It is only these small glimpses, the feeling of a heart's beat, the breath of little blue cats, hands held tenderly against each warm belly and a little head resting near to my own face, that remind me of the worth of the pain.

No comments: