Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Am David

Sometimes an art work does everything it is supposed to do - the film, I Am David, is one such piece. It is the story of a boy who is helped to escape from a Bulgarian prison camp in 1954 - did you know there were prison camps in Bulgaria in 1954, because I didn't - so, I am better eduacated for this film. David trusts no one because of the murders and beatings amd conscripted labor he has been witness to in his very young life - I, too, have trouble trusting those in authority having seen it abused so often by both my government and my Church. So, David's journey from Bulgaria to Denmark is simply the story of each of our journeys through this life and how we help ourselves and allow ourselves to be helped by others. Trust. Well, trust is not easily given anymore by me. The great beauty and trajedy of David's story is that someone so young and beautiful - beauty of the spirit - has suffered so much in such a short time. The catharsis and the redemption are David learning to trust, once more and to, perhaps, find the love he searches for... will he? I won't spoil the ending for you, but I know, I'm reminded, that even as I approach fifty it is not too late to hold the tiny flicker of hope in your cupped hands and guard it against the wind... for to let it go out, well that is to continue accepting the murders, the beatings, the loss of dignity and civil equality, the loss of justice and faith, but most especially the loss of whatever Love is meant to be for me and you. I thank God for all the artists, film makers, writers, musicians, and bread bakers - and maybe just especially Saint Elizabeth.

(Click on the post's title to buy the DVD)

No comments: